Welcome Arch, Roseburg, on Decoration Day - c. 1908


Welcome Arch, Roseburg, on Decoration Day - Smith

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields


Roseburg's welcome arch has been dressed up for Decoration Day - the original name for Memorial Day. Started in 1868 as a day to honor Union soldiers who died in the Civil War, Decoration Day activities in many towns rivaled those of the Fourth of July. Citizens gathered for band concerts, speeches, picnics, and decorating the tombs of Civil War veterans. In this view we see the dates 1861 - 1865 have been added to the arch, as well as representations of the medals worn by G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) veterans - on the left pillar, and the Women's Relief Corps auxilliary - on the right. Mrs. William Smith, a Roseburg photographer, has somehow found a time - perhaps very early in the morning - when the street was empty, except for the man with the hose pictured in detail view 1. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0371
Photographer Mrs. William Smith
Location Roseburg, Douglas County
Subject Town Views
Decade 1900s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Cabinet Card
Size of Original 3.9 x 5.5 inches
Photographer's Number No