The Middle Blockhouse at the Cascades - 1867


The Middle Blockhouse at the Cascades - Watkins

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields


Officially known as "Fort Raines", the middle blockhouse was built in 1855 to protect the portage railroad around the Cascade Rapids. It was abandoned in 1857. One of three fortifications along the Cascades, it was the only blockhouse on the Columbia that was every engaged in combat.

Attacked by the Yakimas and neighboring tribes in 1856, the local settlers gathered there for protection were rescued after three days by General (then Lieutenant) Phil Sheridan, who was stationed at Fort Vancouver. The middle blockhouse was washed away in the flood of 1876, nine years after this photo was taken.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0154
Photographer Carleton Watkins
Location Cascade Locks, Columbia Gorge, Washington State
Subject Military, Military Buildings
Decade 1860s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Stereoview Panel
Size of Original 3.1 x 3.2 inches
Photographer's Number Number 1260