South Mill Creek Covered Bridge, Salem, During 1890 Flood


South Mill Creek Covered Bridge, Salem, During 1890 Flood

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields


The South Mill Creek Covered Bridge was built in 1862 on Commercial Street, just south of Trade Street. It was damaged in the 1890 flood, shown here, and had to be dismantled.

To the left can be seen Salem Flouring Mills, built in 1865. In 1870 the mill was described as the largest of its type in Oregon. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1899.

This view is recreated from a boudoir card taken by Myra E. Sperry, who called her business "Sperry the Artist". She sold her studio, located about three blocks north of this bridge, in 1899.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1276
Photographer Myra E. Sperry
Location Salem, Marion County
Subject Bridges and Trestles, Floods
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Boudoir Card
Size of Original 4.8 x 6.8 inches
Photographer's Number No