Fischer's Flouring Mill, Silverton, Oregon - 1904

$25.00

Fischer's Flouring Mill, Silverton, Oregon - June D. Drake

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Fischer's Flouring Mill was central to the history and growth of Silverton. Most of the building shown here in 1904 were purchased by Henry Fischer from the Oregon Milling Company in 1898.

Fischer already owned a mill in Corvallis, and in 1900 he turned over management of the Silverton location to his son L. H. Fischer. Under L. H. Fischer's leadership, the mill was enlarged and remodeled to increase its production capacity. By the mid-1920s, the mill, then powered by its own turbine-generated electricity, consisted of a large complex of milling, elevator, warehouse and office buildings.

However, the Depression hit the Fischers hard, and the mill closed in 1932. It remained as rental property for a while, and but over time the buildings deteriorated and were taken down in 1942. Today the site is Old Mill Park and Ampitheater, and is sometimes used for music festivals.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1334
Photographer June D. Drake
Location Silverton, Marion County
Subject Mills and Factory Buildings, Mills and Manufacturing
Decade 1900s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Medium-size Print
Size of Original 4.7 x 6.7 inches
Photographer's Number No

Related Items

Oregon Milling Co., Mill B, Silverton - circa 1900

Oregon Milling Co., Mill B, Silverton - circa 1900