Bishop Scott Academy - 1890

$25.00

Bishop Scott Academy - 1890

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Bishop Scott Academy was founded in Portland in 1870 as Bishop Scott Grammar and Divinity School by Episcopal Bishop Benjamin Wistar Morris, and named after his predecessor, Bishop Thomas Fielding Scott. It was located in Northwest Portland along 19th, between Couch and Everett Streets, with initial donations by Captain George H. Flanders and his sister, Mrs. Caroline Couch (wife of John H. Couch).

Damaged by a fire in 1877, it was rebuilt and reopened in 1878 with a new principal, Joseph Wood Hill. Hill added military discipline to the school, and in 1887 renamed it Bishop Scott Academy. In 1901 he retired and the academy lasted three more years before closing in 1904.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1330
Photographer Unknown
Location Portland, Multnomah County
Subject Schools
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Slide (Magic Lantern)
Size of Original 2.2 x 2.9 inches
Photographer's Number No