Willamette Engine Co. No. 1 and Crew - circa 1875

$25.00

Willamette Engine Co. No. 1 and Crew

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

This rare photo from the era of volunteer fire fighting in Portland shows a time before horses were used to pull the equipment. The Willamette Fire Company on Southwest Morrison Street was Portland's first fire station, opened in 1853. It appears every volunteer in town has shown up for the photograph.

Horses were added in 1882, and then in 1883, Portland moved to a paid fire department, with a first-year budget of $55,340.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon. Original courtesy of City of Portland Archives.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0731
Photographer Unknown
Location Portland, Multnomah County
Subject Fire Fighting, Town Views
Decade 1870s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Cabinet Card
Size of Original 4.6 x 6.2 inches
Photographer's Number No