A group of twenty-six tourists demonstrate their faith in the strength of the reinforced timber bridge in this view published by McAlpin & Lamb in about 1890. The cables and the extra timbers below the bowstring logs were added shortly after the bridge was first built, in an apparent acknowledgment that the first design left something to be desired in terms of stability. The two versions of the timber bridge lasted about twenty years. After that, the falls had no bridge until the current concrete bridge was completed in 1914. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.
|Photographer||Arthur B. McAlpin|
|Location||Columbia Gorge, Multnomah Falls, Multnomah County|
|Subject||Bridges and Trestles, Vacations and Holidays, Waterfalls|
|Print Maker||Old Oregon|
|Original Type||Boudoir Card|
|Size of Original||6.3 x 8.5 inches|
|Photographer's Number||Number 11|