The Original T. J. Potter, on the Columbia - c. 1895

$25.00

The Original T. J. Potter, on the Columbia

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

The T. J. Potter, launched in 1888, was built for the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company by a firm owned by John F. Steffan. It had the reputation of being one of the fastest and most luxurious sidewheelers in the Pacific Northwest. Even her paddle boxes were jigsawed into an intricate floral pattern that made them works of Victorian art.

Originally placed on the Portland to Astoria run, the Potter spent some time in Puget Sound before returning to the Columbia River. She was rebuilt in 1901, adding significant weight, which slowed her down somewhat. After ending her passenger use in 1916, the Potter was used for a while as a barracks boat for construction crews.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0472
Photographer Unknown
103 Columbia River
Subject No
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Postcard
Size of Original 3.4 x 5.4 inches
Photographer's Number No