The German Ship Tarpenbek in Portland's Harbor - c. 1905

$25.00

The German Ship Tarpenbek in Portland's Harbor - Indahl

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

The Tarpenbek was a three-masted steel ship built in 1892 by Pickersgill and Sons of Sunderland, England, and originally named the "Naworth Castle". It was sold in 1899 to the German company Knohr and Buchard, and renamed the "Tarpenbek" at that time. Measuring 264 feet in length, it had a tonnage of 1895 gross, and traded mainly in the North Atlantic. Thus its visit to Portland was somewhat unusual. In this view we see it lying at anchor with all yards braced square. The absence of sails suggests it was awaiting orders for its next voyage. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0319
Photographer Olaf Indahl
Location Portland, Multnomah County
Subject No
Decade 1900s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Negative
Size of Original 4.9 x 6.3 inches
Photographer's Number No