Schools

17 Item(s)

per page

List  Grid 

Set Descending Direction
  1. 1912 and 1900 School Buildings in Sisters

    1912 and 1900 School Buildings in Sisters - c. 1919

    The two-room schoolhouse on the right was the second school building in the town of Sisters, and was replaced in 1912 by the six-room structure on the left. Learn More
  2. Alpha Hall, Oregon Agricultural College - Crawford

    Alpha Hall, Oregon Agricultural College - c. 1890

    Alpha Hall, the first residence hall on the Oregon Agricultural College campus, was constructed by Samuel G. McFadden in 1889. Learn More
  3. An Early School Bus, Sunset Schools, West Linn

    An Early School Bus, Sunset School, West Linn - 1904

    Horse-drawn carriages provided the first public school transportation. This photo has been described as the first public transportation of pupils in Oregon. Learn More
  4. Central Public School, Corvallis - Crawford

    Central Public School, Corvallis - c. 1890

    Built in 1889 on 7th Street between Monroe and Madison, Central School replaced South School, which had burned in 1887, and North School, which was turned into a private residence. Learn More
  5. Dormitory at Chemawa Indian School - Crawford

    Dormitory at Chemawa Indian School - c. 1890

    This dormitory was one of the first buildings completed at Chemawa Indian School when it moved from Forest Grove to the Salem area in 1885. Learn More
  6. Entrance to Lincoln Bench School - Lange

    Entrance to Lincoln Bench School - 1939

    Part of a group of photos taken by Dorothea Lange near Ontario, in Malheur County, this view shows the school building and grounds looking through the front gate. A large school bell is visible in the tower of the modest building, ready to call the children to classes. Learn More
  7. Girls Studying Their Reading Lesson - Lange

    Girls Studying Their Reading Lesson - 1939

    This photo of six girls was taken on the steps of Lincoln Bench School, near Ontario, in Malheur County, by Dorothea Lange in October, 1939. Learn More
  8. Ladies Hall at Pacific University - Davidson

    Ladies Hall at Pacific University - c. 1885

    Ladies Hall is the ornate building on the right - the first dormitory at Pacific University - completed in 1882. Learn More
  9. Lents Public School

    Lents Public School - 1911

    The first Lents School at 92nd and Harold in Portland - a wooden structure built in 1902 after a previous school at another location had burned. Note the rural character of it surroundings. Learn More
  10. Mechanical Hall, Oregon Agricultural College - Crawford

    Mechanical Hall, Oregon Agricultural College - c. 1890

    The original Mechanical Hall and water tower at Oregon Agricultural College, now Oregon State University, was opened in 1889. Learn More
  11. Oregon Agricultural College Experiment Station - Crawford

    Oregon Agricultural College Experiment Station - c. 1890

    The Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1888, funded by the Hatch Act of 1887, which provided funds for experiment stations at land-grant colleges in each state and territory. Learn More
  12. Portland and Mt. Hood - Watkins

    Portland and Mt. Hood - circa 1885

    The ornate stone building in the center of this image is Portland High School, located on the southwest corner of 14th and Morrison Streets. Learn More
  13. Second Sunset School, West Linn

    Second Sunset School, West Linn - c. 1930

    The second Sunset School was very similar in design to the second Bolton School. Built in 1917, it burned in 1940. Learn More
  14. Sunset Grade and High Schools, West Linn

    Sunset Grade and High Schools, West Linn - 1904

    While we've referred to these as the Sunset schools, at the time they were known as the West Oregon City schools, as West Linn did not yet exist. Learn More
  15. The Community Gathers at Marmot School, East of Sandy - Adolph Aschoff
  16. The Second Bolton School, West Linn

    The Second Bolton School, West Linn - c. 1925

    The first Bolton school was started in 1892 in a store purchased from a Mr. Cramers for $25. As it served only the primary grades, older Bolton students continued to walk to Sunset School. Learn More
  17. Warm Springs Indian Agency - Moorhouse

    Warm Springs Indian Agency - c. 1901

    While this view is not signed, we attribute it to Moorhouse since it so closely resembles some of his other photos. As Indian Agent for the Umatillas, Moorhouse was himself responsible in 1890 for acquiring funds for the school buildings, which make up most of the structures in this photo. Learn More

17 Item(s)

per page

List  Grid 

Set Descending Direction