Steamboat Georgiana Passing the Original Burnside Bridge - c. 1915

$25.00

Steamboat Georgiana Passing the Original Burnside Bridge

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

The Georgiana was a propeller-driven steamboat that operated on the Willamette and Columbia Rivers from 1914 to 1940. She was named after Georgiana Pittock, wife of Henry L. Pittock. Placed into service at about the time railroads and highways were supplanting the role of steamboats, Georgiana succeeded because she was small and very fast. And she followed the "no frills" model - passengers were encouraged to bring their own lunch, and could travel to Astoria for a fare of one dollar. Behind the Georgiana is the original Burnside Bridge, a swing-span steel structure built in 1894. It was replaced by the current concrete bridge in 1926. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0511
Photographer Unknown
Location Portland, Multnomah County
Subject Bridges and Trestles, Docks and Harbors, Ships and Boats
Decade 1910s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Negative
Size of Original 4.6 x 6.5 inches
Photographer's Number No