Savage Rapids Dam, Rogue River - 1932

$30.00

Savage Rapids Dam, Rogue River - Ralph Eddy

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

The Savage Rapids Dam was built as a diversion dam in 1921 by the Grants Pass Irrigation District, and was located on the Rogue River about five miles east of the town of Grants Pass. It provided water for the Tokay Canal and the South Highline Canal, using water-powered pumps to raise the water flow.

Irregularly maintained over the decades, it became apparent to many that the dam had a very negative effect on the Rogue River fishery. After years of planning (not without controversy), the dam was removed in 2009 at a cost of about $40 million - one of the largest dam removals in the United States. It was replaced by 12 electric water pumps.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon from the original negative, courtesy of the Clackamas County Historical Society.

Additional Information

Item Number CC0166
Photographer Ralph Eddy
103 Josephine County
Subject Rivers and Streams, Water and Power Projects
Decade 1930s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Original Negative
Size of Original 4.5 x 6.3 inches
Photographer's Number Number 337