Oregon State Insane Asylum - c. 1890

$25.00

Oregon State Insane Asylum - Crawford

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Built in Salem in 1883 as the Oregon State Insane Asylum, much of this building is still in use today as the Oregon State Hospital. This photo was taken in about 1890, while the building was relatively new, as part of a series of public building views created by James G. Crawford. The original Oregon State Hospital for the Insane was established by J. C. Hawthorne in 1862 in East Portland, on a street originally name Asylum Street. After protests from local residents, the street name was changed to Hawthorne Boulevard. Similarly, the street in front of the pictured building was originally named Asylum Avenue. It is now called Center Street. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0244
Photographer James G. Crawford
103 Salem, Marion County
Subject Government Buildings
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Stereoview Panel
Size of Original 3.0 x 3.1 inches
Photographer's Number Number 191