Opening the Columbia, Canal & Locks at the Cascades - 1889

$25.00

Opening the Columbia, Canal & Locks at the Cascades - The West Shore

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

This 1889 engraving shows the construction of the Cascade Locks and Canal, which took 20 years to complete, finally opening in 1896. The project included two locks and a 1.4 mile long concrete lined canal, with an additional set of guard gates upriver that could be used for servicing the main gates or as an additional lock during high water. When opened, Cascade Locks allowed unimpeded river traffic from Astoria to The Dalles. It would be another 19 years before the Army Corps of Engineers completed their work at The Dalles and boats could travel all the way to Lewiston, Idaho. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0199
Photographer Engraving
Location Cascade Locks, Columbia River, Hood River County
Subject Construction, Locks
Decade 1880s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Engraving
Size of Original 9.2 x 15.3 inches
Photographer's Number No