The idea of lighthouses as tourist destinations is clearly nothing new, as shown by this couple visiting in their carriage a hundred years ago. Their destination is the North Head lighthouse, built to supplement the earlier Cape Disappointment lighthouse, installed in 1856. North Head was added because ships approaching from the north could not always see the older structure. Completed in 1898, North Head initially used the first-order Fresnel lens from the older lighthouse, which had been upgraded. Today it uses more modern optics, but the basic structure still looks very much like this view from 1910. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.
|Photographer||Pacific Photo Co.|
|Subject||Vacations and Holidays|
|Print Maker||Old Oregon|
|Size of Original||3.4 x 4.3 inches|
|Photographer's Number||Number 18|