Mule Laden with Casks, Colville - c. 1860

$25.00

Mule Laden with Casks, Colville - Corp of Royal Engineers

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

A mule is outfitted to carry casks for the British Northwest Boundary Commission at their Colville "huts" on the Columbia River. The Boundary Commission operated from 1859 through 1861, surveying the boundary between Canada and the United States.

Now flooded by Grand Coulee Dam, Fort Colville was originally established by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1825 to replace Spokane House as its regional trading center. South of the 49th parallel, it became part of the U. S. after the treaty of 1846, but was still used by British interests for a number of years.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0122
Photographer Corps of Royal Engineers
103 Columbia River, Washington State
Subject Military, Military Buildings
Decade 1860s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Larger Print
Size of Original 5.0 x 6.0 inches
Photographer's Number Leaf Number 19