Mill Building in Ashland, Oregon - c. 1898

$25.00

Mill Building in Ashland, Oregon

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

"Ashland Mills" on the building refers to the original name of the town, rather than to this particular mill. Founded in 1854 as Ashland Mills, the town's name was shortened to Ashland in 1871. Located on Mill Creek - now Ashland Creek - the town began as a site for lumber and flour mills. Later these enterprises were joined by a woolen mill. In early 1900 the mill shown here burned to the ground, and was never rebuilt. In 1914 the city passed a bond to establish Lithia park in the center of town, and this location became the entry to the park. One interesting detail is a poster at the left edge for the Mahara's Minstrels, a famous musical group that toured the Northwest in the late 1800s. Its band leader was W. C. Handy, later known as the "father of the blues". -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0254
Photographer Unknown
Location Ashland, Jackson County
Subject No
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Snapshot
Size of Original 3.5 x 4.6 inches
Photographer's Number No