Longmire Springs & the First Hotel at Mt. Rainier - c. 1895

$25.00

Longmire Springs & the First Hotel at Mt. Rainier - Weister

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

In 1883 James Longmire built a trail from Succotash Valley 13 miles to the hot springs in the area that now bears his name. John Muir described staying here on his way to Mount Rainier in 1888. In 1890, Longmire built his first five-room hotel, shown here on the right. When Rainier National Park was established in 1899, the first park headquarters were located nearby. After James Longmire died in 1897, his family took over the property, and expanded their hotel to 12 rooms in 1908. But by this time a 60 room hotel had been built in the area, and in 1919 the Longmires sold their structures and leased their property to the National Park Service.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1130
Photographer George M. Weister
Location Mount Rainier, Washington State
Subject Horses, Mules and Oxen, Hotels, Mountains, Vacations and Holidays
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Positive
Size of Original 6.2 x 7.9 inches
Photographer's Number Number 363.

Related Items

James Longmire, Founder of Longmire Springs - c. 1895

James Longmire, Founder of Longmire Springs - c. 1895