Looking north on Third Avenue, we see J. K. Gill on the left at 133 Third Street (as it was called then). This was the original Portland location for what grew into a chain of bookstores for Joseph Kaye Gill. Gill had opened his first store in Salem in 1866, He sold it when he moved to Portland. The flagship store shown here was maintained until 1921, when Gill moved his headquarters to a ten-story building at Fifth and Stark. J. K. Gill eventually grew to 63 stores in 1990 before the company began a long decline. The last seven stores closed their doors in 1999. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon. Original courtesy of City of Portland Archives.
|Location||Portland, Multnomah County|
|Subject||Retail Stores, Town Views|
|Print Maker||Old Oregon|
|Original Type||Medium-size Print|
|Size of Original||5.8 x 8.0 inches|