Houseboats at Portland's First Stockyards - c. 1905

$25.00

Houseboats at Portland's First Stockyards - Indahl

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Looking from the Willamette River across the houseboats to Portland's first Union Stock Yards, located in the northwest industrial area at 17th and Vaughn. First opened in the 1890s by Louis Burke, of the Nebraska-based Burke livestock family, the stock yards started as two leased acres, and were large enough to house twelve to fourteen railroad cars of livestock. After a succession of owners at 17th and Vaughn, in 1909 the stockyards were greatly enlarged when they were moved to the Columbia River by Swift and Company. By the 1950s they had become the largest in the Pacific Northwest. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0340
Photographer Olaf Indahl
Location Portland, Multnomah County
Subject Town Views
Decade 1900s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Negative
Size of Original 3.8 x 4.8 inches
Photographer's Number No