Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland - c. 1881

$25.00

Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland - Towne

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Good Samaritan Hospital opened its doors in October, 1875, in this building on the same location at NW 23rd and Marshall in northwest Portland where the hospital continues today. Visible in detail view 1, standing on the front porch, is Bishop Benjamin Wistar Morris, considered to be the founder of Good Samaritan. Morris is also known as the longest serving Episcopal bishop in the Northwest, filling that position for 38 years, from 1868 through 1906. Good Samaritan was the second hospital in Portland, opening only a few months after St. Vincents, which was dedicated in July of 1875. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0663
Photographer William H. Towne
103 Portland, Multnomah County
Subject Hospitals, Nursing / Healthcare
Decade 1880s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Boudoir Card
Size of Original 4.6 x 5.9 inches
Photographer's Number No