Elk Rock Trestle to Oswego - c. 1894

$25.00

Elk Rock Trestle to Oswego

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Elk Rock Trestle, on the line from Portland to Oswego (now Lake Oswego). Built in 1887 by the Portland and Willamette Valley Railroad as a narrow gauge line, the line was dual-tracked after it was sold to Southern Pacific in 1892. The narrow gauge rails were removed in 1895. This view shows both gauges, dating the photo to between 1892 and 1895. Initially steam-powered, the line was electrified in 1912. Because of falling rock, the trestle was replaced by a tunnel in 1921. That tunnel and the nearby Riverwood Trestle are again in use for passenger service by the Willamette Shore Trolley, operated by volunteer members of the Oregon Electric Railway Historical Society. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0056
Photographer Unknown
Location Lake Oswego, Clackamas County
Subject Trains, Railroads, Streetcars
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Stereoview Panel
Size of Original 3.0 x 3.1 inches
Photographer's Number No