Dormitory at Chemawa Indian School - c. 1890

$25.00

Dormitory at Chemawa Indian School - Crawford

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

This dormitory was one of the first buildings completed at Chemawa Indian School when it moved from Forest Grove to the Salem area in 1885. This view was made by James G. Crawford in about 1890 as part of a series of photos of public buildings in the mid-Willamette Valley. The Chemawa school had originally been started in Forest Grove in 1880, following the philosophy of Richard H. Pratt, whose goal was to integrate Native American children into general society by removing them from their homes and educating them in boarding schools. It was the second such school opened, after the Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania. Most of Chemawa's early frame buildings, like this one, were later replaced by more permanent brick structures. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0245
Photographer James G. Crawford
Location Salem, Marion County
Subject Native Americans, Schools
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Stereoview Panel
Size of Original 3.0 x 3.0 inches
Photographer's Number Number 193