Crescent City Light-House - circa 1895

$25.00

Crescent City Light-House - J. J. Owings

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Also known as Battery Point Lighthouse, this lighthouse was one of the first on the west coast, and was initially lit on December 10th, 1856. Like most of the early lighthouses, it was built in a Cape Cod style, with a central brick tower protruding from the roof of a one-and-a-half-story stone keeper’s dwelling.

It operated officially until 1965, when it was replaced by a flashing light on the nearby breakwater. However, in 1982 it reopened as a private navigation aid. Today caretakers live in the building, and offer guided tours.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1171
Photographer J. J. Owings
Location California
Subject Lighthouses, Ocean
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Cabinet Card
Size of Original 6.0 x 8.0 inches
Photographer's Number No