Castle Rock, Columbia River, Near View - c. 1878

$25.00

Castle Rock, Near View - Davidson

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

"Beacon Rock" was originally named by Lewis and Clark on their expedition to the Pacific Ocean on October 31, 1805. It was near Beacon Rock that they first measured tidal influences from the ocean on the Columbia River.

In 1811, Alexander Ross of the John Jacob Astor expedition called the rock "Inoshoack Castle." The rock was known as "Castle Rock" until, in 1916, the United States Board of Geographic Names restored the name "Beacon Rock."

Henry J. Biddle purchased the rock in order to build a trail to the top. The trail was built, and in 1935 his heirs turned the rock over to the state for use as a park. Additional development was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0007
Photographer Isaac G. Davidson
Location Columbia Gorge, Washington State
Subject Rock Formations
Decade 1870s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Boudoir Card
Size of Original 4.5 x 7.7 inches
Photographer's Number Number 50.