Camping at Wilhoit Springs - c. 1890

$25.00

Camping at Wilhoit Springs

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Vacation time - 1890 style. A large group entertains themselves while camping at Wilhoit Springs south of Molalla. Named for John Wilhoit, who purchased the property in 1866, the mineral springs were developed as a resort by Frank McLeran beginning in the 1870s. While some groups camped out on the property, as in this photo, many came from big cities to stay at the hotel and take advantage of facilities that eventually included a bathhouse, bowling alley, band pavilion, and cabins. The mineral water was bottled and sold with the instructions to "shake before opening". Today, all the buildings are gone, but the springs are operated as a park by Clackamas County, and anyone can visit and try the mineral water for free. -- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon.

Additional Information

Item Number AA0214
Photographer Unknown
Location Clackamas County
Subject Group Portraits, Parks, Vacations and Holidays
Decade 1890s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Larger Print
Size of Original 4.3 x 7.8 inches
Photographer's Number No