Barlow Road Tollgate No. 5 - circa 1885

$25.00

Barlow Road Tollgate No. 5 - Adolph Aschoff

(Click to enlarge detail views. Only the full view is available for sale.)

In addition to the size options listed below, we also offer Canvas Wraps and Image Licensing.

* Required Fields

Details

Five tollgates were established, sequentially, on the Barlow Road between 1846 and 1918. This is the last, which operated from 1883 through 1918. Located near the current community of Rhododendron, along Highway 26, it is now commemorated by a replica.

While our image is restored from the original glass negative, Oregon Historical Society owns a print which names some of the people. Ernest Sievers is driving the ox-team. Sam Bacon is driving the horse-drawn wagon, with Adam Kotzman behind him on the left. Behind them, the girl in the broad hat is likely Elizabeth Ann Bacon, daughter of Sam.

Note the sign for the Mt. Hood - Barlow Road in detail view 1, along with Ernest Sievers. Detail view 2 gives us a closer look at the horse-drawn wagon.

-- This photo is restored and printed by Old Oregon from the original glass negative, courtesy of Ed Green.

Additional Information

Item Number AA1228
Photographer Adolph Aschoff
103 Clackamas County
Subject Horses, Mules and Oxen, Roads and Highways
Decade 1880s
Print Maker Old Oregon
Original Type Glass Negative
Size of Original 4.6 x 7.7 inches
Photographer's Number No